Kansas City District Header Image

KANSAS CITY DISTRICT

Home
Home > Missions > Environmental  > Environmental Projects > Former Tongue Point Naval Air Station

Former Tongue Point Naval Air Station HTRW Project

Collapse All Expand All

Tongue Point was a small island in the Columbia River. In January 1921, approximately 395 acres were deeded from Clatsop County to the United States, which placed the property under the control of the Department of the Navy. The property was used by the Navy in 1924 as a submarine and destroyer base. Use was limited to the uplands area and some tidelands, but the property was essentially dormant until dredging and filling began in 1939. In 1939, the Navy began converting the base to a Naval Air Station for seaplanes. Between 1939 and 1941, the subtidal lands south of Tongue Point Island were hydraulically filled with sediment from offshore dredging operations. The hydrofilled area extended from Tongue Point Island south nearly to the mouth of Mill Creek and east to the shore of the Columbia River. Thus, Tongue Point became a peninsula. Nearly all of the hydraulically filled area was paved. Hydrofilling enlarged the Naval Air Station to approximately 550 acres. After additional property was deeded from Clatsop County to the federal government, the former site encompassed approximately 840 acres. 

From 1941 through 1946 the site was used by Department of Defense as a Naval Seaplane Base. Seaplane hangars, AVGAS refueling systems and repair and maintenance facilities were constructed on the hydrofilled portion of the Naval Air Station. Construction to support naval air operations was completed in 1942 and seaplanes (PBY Catalina) arrived in early 1943. Concrete ramps were built to allow seaplanes access to the river. A large ordnance storage area was constructed on Tongue Point. To meet the needs of the base population, living quarters, an athletic field, a medical dispensary, a powerhouse, a sewage treatment plant, a fire training area, sludge burn pits, pipelines, tanks and a waste incinerator were built on the hydrofilled and upland portions of the site.  

In 1946, naval air operations ceased and the base became a fleet facility for the Columbia River Group of the Pacific Reserve Fleet though 1962. To accommodate the reserve fleet, the river was dredged and eight concrete finger piers were constructed. In January 1962, the Navy deactivated the facility and the property was subsequently transferred to the Government Services Administration.

The Administrative Record File contains reports, and other material used in preparation of the Proposed Plan. The Proposed Plan and other documents included in the Administrative Record file are available at the following location:

 

Astoria Public Library                        

450 10th Street                                              

Astoria, OR 97103                             

(503) 325-7323

Former Tongue Point Naval Air Station Landfill

Collapse All Expand All

The Tongue Point Landfill is located at the former Tongue Point Naval Air Station (NAS) in Astoria, Oregon. The Landfill is in a rural area on the tidelands near the mouth of the Columbia River where Mill Creek enters Cathlamet Bay. The Landfill is located near Old Highway 30 approximately 3 miles east of Astoria, Oregon.

Tongue Point was originally a small island in the Columbia River. In January 1921, approximately 395 acres of land, including all tidelands, wharfage, and riparian rights, were deeded from Clatsop County to the United States, which placed the property under the control of the Department of the Navy (Navy). The Navy continued to acquire acreage until the Tongue Point NAS consisted of approximately 840 acres in 1948.

The Navy originally used the property in 1924 as a submarine and destroyer base. Use was limited to the uplands area and some tidelands and was essentially dormant until dredging and filling began in 1939 for conversion to an NAS for seaplanes. This conversion required additional construction along the waterfront areas of eastern Cathlamet Bay. Between 1939 and 1941, the subtidal lands south of Tongue Point Island were hydraulically filled with sediment from offshore dredging operations. The hydrofilled area extended from Tongue Point Island south nearly to the mouth of Mill Creek and east to the shore of the Columbia River, creating a peninsula. Nearly all of the hydraulically filled area was subsequently paved. Hydrofilling enlarged the NAS to approximately 550 acres. After additional property was deeded from Clatsop County to the United States, the former NAS encompassed approximately 840 acres.

DoD-era activity is considered to coincide with active occupation of shore facilities from 1941 through 1962. The property was used by DoD from 1941 through 1946 as a Naval Seaplane Base. Seaplane hangars, aviation gasoline (AVGAS) refueling systems, and repair and maintenance facilities were constructed on the hydrofilled portion of the NAS. Construction to support naval air operations was completed in 1942, and seaplanes arrived in early 1943.  In 1946, naval air operations ceased, and the base became a fleet facility for the Columbia River Group of the Pacific Reserve Fleet.

To support ongoing military activities, the Navy operated the Landfill from 1941 until 1962 when the NAS was deactivated and the 840-acre property was transferred to General Services Administration.  In 1980, the Landfill property was formally transferred to the Oregon Division of State Lands (ODSL) and comprised 45 acres of the former NAS south of the concrete paved surface formerly used by the NAS.

The purpose of establishing and maintaining an Administrative Record is twofold. First, it establishes a record containing the documents that form the basis for selecting the response action. Second, it meets the CERCLA requirement for public involvement in determining the selected response alternative. An Administrative Record is required for all Formerly Used Defense Site (FUDS) projects at which removal actions are performed or at which a Remedial Investigation is performed.

The Administrative Record file contains documents providing the basis for decisions made on the project, and includes information such as relevant work plans, reports, decision documents, copies of regulations, and copies of press releases and fact sheets. The Administrative Record file is located and maintained at or near the site in a local information repository. This local information repository can be a public library, law enforcement office, city hall, school, or other location with easy public access.

 

The Administrative Record file is available at the following location:

 

Astoria Public Library                                                  USACE-Kansas City District                         

450 10th Street                                                            Administrative Records                     

Astoria, OR 97103                                                      635 Federal Building                                      

(503) 325-7323                                                           601 E. 12th Street                               

                                                                                    Kansas City, MO 64106-2824