Fort Crowder, originally called Camp Crowder, was constructed during 1941 to 1942 on approximately 42,800 acres of land in Newton and McDonald Counties, Missouri. From 1942 until deactivated in 1946, it operated as a Signal Corps Replacement Training Center. The fort was reactivated in 1951 as an Army Reception Center for the Korean conflict. From 1953 to 1958, the fort was used as a U.S. Branch Disciplinary Barracks. From 1958 to 1967, an area in the northern part of the fort was used as U.S. Air Force Plant 65. Starting in 1962, the bulk of the land comprising the former Fort Crowder was declared excess property and sold.