Special archery deer hunts are available for application. Selected applicants are given the opportunity to hunt a specific unit in a park area with a buddy. Hunts take place in a total of 12 hunting units at Rock Creek, Longview, Perry and Slough Creek Parks. Application deadline is October 2nd, 2013.
1. Each application must list a primary hunter and a “buddy” hunter to participate in the hunt. Hunters can only be listed on one application.
2. Permits will be selected through a lottery drawing on the afternoon of Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013; applicants will be notified by telephone if they are selected. The issued permit must be carried by permittee and the designated “buddy” at all times and may be revoked by Corps of Engineers officials, Wildlife and Parks officials, and Jefferson County Sheriff’s officials at any time.
3. Both the primary permit holder and his “buddy” will be required to attend a pre-hunt mandatory meeting on Saturday, October 5th, 2012 at 7:00pm at the Corps of Engineers Visitor Center at Perry Lake. If the permit holder or his “buddy” fails to attend the meeting, the permit will be revoked and given to the first available alternate hunter. At this meeting, zone assignments will be chosen by the hunters in the order they are drawn.
4. Archery only. The primary hunter or buddy hunter must harvest one doe between the two before the harvest of a buck. Both hunters must have an Archery Either-Species/Either-Sex Deer Permit or an Any-Season White-tailed Deer permit. This hunt is intended for deer management, but turkey harvesting will be permitted.
5. All State of Kansas game quotas and laws apply. Hunters must show proof of state archery and hunting license(s) at the mandatory meeting.
6. Archery deer hunting will be permitted in assigned areas from October 16th - November 30th and December 16th - December 31st.
7. Hunters will be allowed to hunt in their assigned zone/area only; at no time will hunting be allowed outside of the assigned zone. Only the assigned permittee and his “buddy” will be allowed to hunt. (This does not apply to areas open to the general public for hunting around Perry Lake.)
8. Parking and vehicle operation will be permitted in designated areas only, and the issued parking permit must be displayed.
9. Hunting stands and blinds must be portable only. Hunters must follow state regulations for blinds and tree stands on public lands. Minor pruning is permitted to create a shooting lane.
10. Shots resulting in deer injury will need to be trailed; however, proceeding onto private property will be allowed with landowner permission only.
11. Hunters will need to submit a post-hunt form indicating the number of deer killed of each sex. All deer and turkey sightings should be tallied. These forms will be issued at the pre-hunt meeting. If reports are not returned by January 7, 2014, one week after the final day of the hunt, then hunters may be excluded from future hunts.
12. Any permit holder violating any state or Corps of Engineers (COE) rule, regulation, or law will have their COE permit voided, be subject to a ticket, and will be banned from future special hunts at Perry Lake. Any person-to-person conflicts must be reported to the appropriate officials.
13. Mountain bikes and boat usage are approved for access to hunting units. NO ATV’S.
14. Game feeders are not allowed.
Archery Hunt Application Form
Archery Hunt Units Map