KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Are you having a hard time finding the perfect holiday gift? The time for shopping and gift delivery is rapidly slipping away. What better way to show your love for someone than to buy them a gift or a gift card that can save their life? This holiday season buy your favorite outdoorsy person a life jacket!
Today, there are many styles of life jackets tailored to fit the need of water activities like paddling, fishing, swimming, wakeboarding and more. Additionally, there are lightweight, breathable life jackets available for the hot summer months such as auto-inflatable life jackets and heavyweight, warm life jackets available for the cold winter months like float coats. Life jackets come in bright colors with reflectivity for easy visibility in open water or detailed camouflage patterns that help conceal waterfowl hunters in the marsh. Remember, life jackets also come in many sizes so double check the label to ensure proper fit. A simple click of a button or swipe of a card to purchase a life jacket could help prevent a drowning and save a life.
Why does the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers stress the importance of a life jacket? Know the hard facts below.
- Nearly 9 out of every 10 water-related deaths involved individuals not wearing a life jacket (per USACE 10-year average statistics).
- It only takes 20 seconds for a child to drown.
- It only takes 60 seconds for an adult to drown.
- 2/3 of drowning victims are good swimmers.
- Life jackets help hold heat into the core areas of your body.
- Everyone on board a vessel must have a life jacket, required by state laws.
- Certain water sports like tubing and personal watercraft require life jacket wear by state law.
The Kansas City District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers wants to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season. Please remember to practice water safety and always wear a life jacket in, on, or around the water. For more water safety information visit or follow pleasewearit.com.
Release no. 20-137