PARKVILLE, Mo. --
The city of Parkville, Mo., held a groundbreaking for a long anticipated project in the Parkville Bottoms where wetlands will soon be reconstructed to serve as habitat for natural species of plants and animals December 11, 2019. In particular, as seen in other similar projects, significant populations of birds. Additionally, several trails will traverse the area and add to the recreational use of the park.
The Kansas City District will serve as the construction agent for the project and is paying 75% or about $1.9 million - with the city paying in kind for the remaining 25% cost of the project.
Alysen Abel, the Public Works Director, led the ceremony and thanked all the people who brought the project forward. With over 40 acres of restored wetland on over 100 acres of land with walking trails traversing it, she said all were excited to get construction started.
Col. Bill Hannan, commander of the Kansas City District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers spoke and thanked Mayor Nan Johnston, City Administrator, Joe Parente, and Abel, for their continued partnership throughout Feasibility, Design, and now into Construction phases of the project.
“I also want to say thanks to Affinis who designed a superb project and worked with us to make needed adjustments after this year’s flood. They displayed dedication to the project and loyalty to the city of Parkville. I also want to congratulate BKM Construction, a local veteran owned small business from Leavenworth. We look forward to your execution of this great project,” said Hannan.
The Corps of Engineers and the City of Parkville have enjoyed a strong partnership over the years. They worked together on the Rush Creek Stream bank Stabilization Project completed in 2007, the largest such project we had constructed at the time valued at over $2 million dollars. The Kansas City District has also partnered together through the years in various flood response and recovery operations. Through the Silver Jackets Program, the Corps was able to work together to get a new Missouri River gage installed after the 2011 flood that has greatly improved our ability to forecast and respond to flooding.
This current project now protects English Landing Park and importantly water, sewer and bridge infrastructure from severe erosion of Rush Creek, and potential Missouri River bed degradation.
With invasive species removed and diverse wetlands and riparian habitat restored, the people using the park will be able to observe a functioning, diverse wetland community that will support a variety of local wildlife for years to come.
“This project exemplifies how enduring relationships between the City of Parkville, the Corps of Engineers, and many community members and partners can make real improvements for habitat, recreation, economic development, and wise use of our floodplains,” said Hannan.
The Kansas City District is a team of dedicated professionals with a strong heritage and proven results who, in collaboration with our partners, proudly serve in the Heartland providing leadership, technical excellence, and innovative solutions to the nation's most complex problems.